Local Time:

Related Links
Click " Folder Icon" icon to expand menu.

Beverly Wilson, Director, Planning Division
Main Location
1415 Melody Lane, Building E
Bisbee, Arizona 85603

Phone (520)432-9240
Fax     (520)432-9278

Sierra Vista Location
4001 Foothills Dr
Sierra Vista, Arizona 85650

EMAIL Planning & Zoning 

Non-residential (Commercial) ONE STOP SHOP every Wednesday from 8 a.m. to Noon (In Sierra Vista Only)

Residential ONE STOP SHOP every Wednesday from 8 a.m. to Noon (In Bisbee Only)

Bisbee Office Hours
Monday through Friday

8:00am to 5:00pm
Permit Intake Hours:
8:00am to 4:30pm

Sierra Vista Office Hours
Monday through Wednesday
8:00am to 12:00pm &
1:00pm to 4:30pm
Permit Intake Hours:
8:00am to 11:30am &
1:00pm to 4:00pm

1:00pm to 4:30pm
Permit Intake Hours: 
1:00pm to 4:00pm

8:00am to 12:00pm &
1:00pm to 4:30pm
Permit Intake Hours:
8:00am to 11:30am &
1:00pm to 4:00pm

Building Permits may be
submitted in the Sierra Vista
or Bisbee office through
out the week.

Planning & Zoning Offices in Benson and Willcox: Building permits will need to be submitted by appointment only
Please call (520) 432-9240 to schedule an appointment

Benson appointments will be on Tuesdays
Willcox appointments will be on Thursdays




Community Development Department

Planning, Zoning, and Building Safety Division



The Cochise County Light Pollution code was adopted in 1983, with a major update in 2005.  The purpose of the Light Pollution Code is to preserve the dark night sky for astronomers and for the general public, while achieving safe, efficient lighting practices.

Some features of the Cochise County Light Pollution Code are:

  • Light trespass and off-site glare are not allowed
  • All lights must be fully shielded except:
  • Low voltage or solar landscape lighting rated at 10 watts or less
  • A limited number of lights with less than 1,000 lumen output (such as a 60 watt incandescent or quartz halogen or a 13 watt compact fluorescent fixture)
  • One flagpole light (2,000 lumens or less)
  • HOWEVER, all lights within 25 feet of a residential property must be fully shielded
  • Lumen caps are established by zoning and use
  • Floodlights (incandescent or PAR not exceeding 2,000 lumens) are exempt from lumen caps provided they are aimed no more than 45 degrees (halfway between straight down and straight to the side) and are controlled by a motion sensor devise, not to remain on over 10 minutes.
  • Lighted Outdoor Recreation Facilities and Waivers from the Light Pollution Code standards require a Special Use Permit.
  • Temporary exemptions for emergencies exceeding 48 hours require Planning Department approval.

 For the entire text of the Light Pollution Code, click the link below

Light Pollution Code

Residential Lighting Sheet

Examples of Acceptable / Unacceptable Lighting Fixtures

Lamp Output Data