Subdividing Property

Subdividing property in Cochise County is regulated by the Minor Land Division Regulations and the Cochise County Subdivision Regulations, depending on how many parcels are created by the proposed subdivision as well as the size of the parcels.

The minor land division process applies when a large parcel is divided into five (5) or fewer smaller parcels, any of which is 10 acres or smaller. The County subdivision process applies when a large parcel is divided into six (6) or more smaller parcels, any of which is 36 acres or smaller.

Submittal Requirements

Tentative Plat

  • A digital copy of the tentative plat 
  • Letter of Intent describing the subdivision
  • Soil percolation tests
  • Hydrology and hydraulic report 
  • Proof of ownership, showing clear title to the land and that property taxes are paid.
  • Legal description
  • Copy of Arizona Department of Water Resources (ADWR) Application for Water Adequate Determination
  • Deed restrictions, if any.
  • All relevant review fees: See the Cochise County Development Service Fee Schedule

Final Plat

  • A digital copy of the final plat
  • Processing Fee
  • Copy of Arizona Department of Water Resources (ADWR) Water Adequacy Determination
  • Method to pay for improvements, such as improvement bond with cost estimates, or an agreement with the County to assure improvements before the sale of lots
  • Legal description with boundary closures
  • All relevant review fees: See Cochise County Development Services Fee Schedule
  • Mylar and Reduced Copies of Plat and Recording Fees (to be provided before the BOS meeting)

Other items may be required, such as a Traffic Impact Report when warranted by the size of the subdivision. Processing will begin when fees and all review information are submitted. A tentative and final plat must be drafted by a surveyor or engineer registered in the State of Arizona.

Final Plat Approval & Waivers

The Board of Supervisors (BOS) approves all final plats. In addition, only the BOS can grant a waiver from any requirement of the Subdivision Regulations. A waiver can be heard in advance of the final plat meeting, or it can be heard at the same time as the plat is presented to the Board.

Improvements & Lot Sales

The subdivider is responsible for all drainage-way and road improvements, street signs, lot staking, water and waste disposal systems, and other improvements. If warranted by the size of the subdivision, the subdivider can also be asked to pay the fair share of off-site improvements, such as paving a dirt road.

After a final plat approval and recordation, lots will be released for sale when:

  • All public improvements are completed and certified by the subdivision engineer to be in conformance with plans approved by the County Engineer
  • County Engineer inspects and accepts the improvements.

Please note: the subdivision engineer is responsible for scheduling County inspections throughout the construction of improvements.

Conservation Residential Subdivision Option

The Conservation Subdivision Option is intended to encourage the preservation of sensitive land through flexible, innovative site planning. Density bonuses may be awarded to qualified developments. For a description of Conservation Subdivisions Requirements, area calculations, and design considerations, see Article 4.12 of the Cochise County Subdivision Regulations.