Engineering & Natural Resources

The Engineering and Natural Resources Department has responsibility for the survey, design, engineering, planning and management of the County's floodplains, transportation and drainage systems and natural resources. This includes the review of civil site plans for construction, permits and inspection for right-of-way improvements, encroachment, and floodplain use permits.

Cochise County Floodplain Regulations

The Cochise County Flood Control District Board of Directors hereby gives notice a Public Hearing will be held at or after 10 a.m., on Tuesday, November 14th, 2023, at 1415 West Melody Lane, Building G, Bisbee, Arizona to consider the following: 

Staff requests amendments to the “Cochise County Floodplain Regulations” (initially adopted in 1984 and revised several times since then). The proposed amendments encompass several changes to comply with Arizona Department of Water Resources Model Ordinance, including updated definitions, a requirement that all habitable structures be elevated or have a minimum of twelve (12) inches of positive drainage away from the foundation, clarification of requirements for agriculture and accessory structures. These regulations apply to the unincorporated areas of the County, the Cities of Benson, Bisbee, Huachuca City, and Tombstone. All other cities in the County have opted to manage their own floodplain requirements. 

Interested parties are encouraged to review the entire draft. Inquiries may be directed to Joaquin Solis, Floodplain Administer, be calling 520-432-9317 or emailing In addition, all persons interested in the said matter may appear at the public hearing and offer their input regarding the proposed revisions.


  1. Flood Control
  2. Use of Right of Way
  3. Collaborative

Flood Control District

The Flood Control District, a division of this Department, serves as a steward of the County's natural resources to guide residents about flooding and erosion with education on flood hazards, building requirements and information about the National Flood Insurance Program, in order to reduce flood damage and maintain the environmental benefits provided by floodplains.

Floodplain Use Permit

Floodplain Use Permits are issued by the Flood Control District of Cochise County for development in a floodplain, including extraction of sand and gravel or other material. Even if you may not need a building permit for your project, if you are doing work within a designated floodplain, you may be required to obtain a Floodplain Use Permit before you build, grade, fill, install any type of wall or fencing, or perform any other man-made change to the property. Please note, Agricultural Properties are not exempt from Floodplain requirements. Visit the Citizenserve Online Portal to apply for permits.

Photo Gallery

  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3