2022 Candidate Filing Information
Disclaimer: The forms, petitions, handbooks, and law contained in this packet are subject to change without notice, in accordance with State and/or Federal law. It is the responsibility of the candidate/committee to obtain updated information before filing, collecting signatures, etc. Please note that everything you submit is subject to challenge by any elector.
If you have questions on the legality of the forms, petitions, and handbooks, please seek your own legal counsel. The Elections Department cannot give legal advice or answer questions about how to conduct your campaign. All information is subject to public records requests. Printed candidate packets are no longer available for pickup in the Elections Department.
Select the Candidate type for the Office you want to run for:
Candidate Type & Nomination Procedure
Write-In Candidates for Partisan County Offices
- Write-In Nomination Paper and Campaign Finance Laws Statement (Both Are on the Same One-Page Form)
- Financial Disclosure Statement - Covers the 12-month period preceding the filing
- Conflict of Interest Statement - This is a specific requirement of Cochise County and must be completed for all Partisan County Offices
Special District Candidates run in General Election Offices are subject to cancel and appointment.
- Step 1 - Form a Committee (If Required - Rare for Special District Candidates) - Within 10 days after your campaign’s combined receipts and/or disbursements exceed $1,300, the candidate must file a Committee using a Statement of Organization form. As long as your campaign's combined receipts and disbursements do not exceed $1,300, you may skip this step. Once you file a committee, you are obligated to filing regular campaign finance reports subject to late fees.
- Step 2 - Nomination Petitions (Non-Partisan (PDF)) - Information about who can sign petitions, who can gather petitions for you, and a checklist is included in the Candidate Handbook. Official signature numbers will not be available until after January 2, 2022, and will be posted here by January 15, 2022. For comparison purposes, these were signature requirements in 2018 when these offices were up for election.
- Step 3 - Nomination Paper and Campaign Finance Laws Statement - You may contact our office to set up a filing appointment, these cannot be accepted electronically. Candidates are accepted on a first come first serve basis. Only nominating papers received by 5 pm on the last day to file will be accepted, regardless of the postmark date. Nomination Paper and Campaign Finance Laws Statement (Both are on the same one-page form)
- Step 4 - Campaign Finance Reports (Only Required if a Statement of Organization Was Filed) - Obligations to file Campaign Finance Reports begin as soon as the Statement of Organization is filed.
- Step 5 - Termination Statement (Only Required if a Statement of Organization Was Filed) - After the election cycle is complete, committees may terminate by filing a Termination Statement. Until terminated, committees are required to continue filing periodic Campaign Finance Reports. A final Campaign Finance Report is due upon termination.
Write-in Candidates for Non-Partisan Office (Special District)
- Write-In Nomination Paper and Campaign Finance Laws Statement (both are on the same one-page form)
- 2022 County Candidate and Committee Handbook (PDF)
- 2022 Candidate Signature Requirements
- School District Board Candidate Filing Information
- State of Arizona Judicial Candidate Handbook (PDF)
- Az Secretary of State Cybersecurity Handbook for Candidates and Political Entities
Petition Circulation Information
- AZ Secretary of State Petition Training Guide
- Partisan Nomination Petition (PDF)
- Independent Nomination Petition (PDF)
- Non-Partisan Nomination Petition -Special District (PDF)
Nomination Forms - Nomination Paper and Campaign Finance Laws Statement
- Partisan Nomination Form (PDF)
- Independent Nomination Form (16-341 Candidate) (PDF)
- Non-Partisan Nomination Form (Special District) (PDF)
- Write-In Nomination Form for all Candidates (PDF)