Public Input is Requested for Consideration
The Cochise County Redistricting Advisory Commission (RAC) requests County residents weigh in on the possible redrawing of the Board of Supervisors district boundaries within Cochise County. Concerned citizens may attend an upcoming Redistricting Advisory Commission Public Hearing to provide their input for consideration.
As part of the Arizona redistricting process, every ten years after the U.S. Census is released, Cochise County is responsible for updating voting precinct, Justice Court precinct, Community College, and Board of Supervisor district boundaries. The Redistricting Advisory Commission (RAC) has reviewed each district for possible changes based on population.
The RAC has determined no changes need to be made to the Cochise College districts and the Justice Courts precincts, however redrawing of voting precincts and Board of Supervisor districts have been discussed.
The primary topic of discussion involves the City of Sierra Vista’s request to incorporate Fort Huachuca and the West End of the City into District 1. According to the City, the proposed change is a matter of combining communities of interest into the same district. However, to make the change possible, the other two districts must be redrawn as well to balance the population.
Collectively, the RAC has approved for public comment two options for the Board of Supervisors district boundaries:
- The first option titled “No Change,” is a map reflecting the district boundaries as they are currently drawn. View map here.
- The second option titled “Scenario 1,” is a map incorporating Sierra Vista and Fort Huachuca into Supervisor District 1. View map here.
County citizens are invited to attend a public hearing to submit comments for the Commission’s consideration in the redistricting process. Interested County citizens may also submit written comments for consideration prior to the hearings, through the comment form found on the County Redistricting webpage. Written comments submitted via the online form will not be read aloud during the public hearings, but instead are submitted for the record and for consideration.
Redistricting Advisory Commission Public Hearing Schedule:
- November 4, 2021, at 6:00 p.m.
- Benson: Benson City Council Chambers, 599 S. Dragoon Street, Benson, AZ 85602
- Willcox: Willcox City Council Chambers, 300 W. Rex Allen Drive, Willcox, AZ 85643
- November 8, 2021, at 6:00 p.m.
- Bisbee: Board of Supervisors Hearing Room, 1415 Melody Lane, Building G, Bisbee, AZ 85603
- Douglas: Douglas City Hall, City Council Chambers, 425 E. 10th Street, Douglas, AZ 85607
- November 16, 2021, at 6:00 p.m.
- Sierra Vista: Sierra Vista City Hall, City Council Chambers, 1011 N. Coronado Drive, Sierra Vista, AZ 85635
- Huachuca City: Huachuca City Town Hall, Town Council Chambers, 500 Gonzales Blvd, Huachuca City, AZ 85616
More information on the redistricting process within Cochise County can be found at https://www.cochise.az.gov/805/Redistricting-2021-2022. Citizens may review Redistricting Advisory Commission-related documents, agenda & minutes, and access an interactive map on the webpage.