What are the minimum requirements for the owner-builder option?
  • Minimum parcel size of 4 acres
  • The site area minimum of the zoning must also be at least 4 acres.  (For example, RU-4 zoning has a minimum parcel size area of 4 acres and is an eligible zoning designation. On the hand, an RU-2 parcel, even if it exceeds 4 acres in size, is ineligible because the minimum parcel size for this designation is less than 4 acres).

Septic permits are still required (septic permits expire after 2 years). Right-of-way permit and floodplain use permit may be required. The use of this permitting option is limited to once in every five years on all properties within the unincorporated area of Cochise County owned by that individual owner-builder. This limitation does not apply to accessory structures or additions on the same property.

Owner Builder Webpage

Show All Answers

1. What is the zoning of my property?
2. Do I need a permit?
3. What are the minimum requirements for the owner-builder option?
4. Where can I find information about the Douglas Active Management Area (AMA)?
5. How do I get electric service to my property?
6. Can I build a tiny home on my property and, if so, what are the requirements?
7. Can I camp on my vacant property?
8. What building code does the county use?
9. Can I use an alternative waste disposal system on my property?
10. Can I live in an RV on my property?
11. Can I build my own home or do I need a licensed contractor?
12. Where can I find more information about my property?
13. Can I build an accessory dwelling structure or guest house on my property?
14. When will my building permit expire? Can it be extended?
15. How can I get an address?
16. How much does a permit cost?
17. How do I apply for a permit?
18. Is my property in a floodplain?
19. What is a setback and how is it measured?
20. Can I operate a business out of my home?
21. Can you tell me the location of easements on or near my property?
22. How do I resolve an easement dispute with my neighbor?
23. Am I allowed to have livestock (goats, horses, pigs...) on my property?
24. How do I get potable water to my property?