****  Click Orange "MENU" Button For More Options ****

Engineering & Natural Resources

The Engineering and Natural Resources Department has responsibility for the survey, design, engineering, planning and management of the County’s floodplains, transportation and drainage systems and natural resources. This includes the review of civil site plans for construction, permits and inspection for right of way improvements, encroachment, and floodplain use permits.

The Flood Control District, a division of this Department, serves as a steward of the County’s natural resources to guide residents about flooding and erosion with education on flood hazards, building requirements and information about the National Flood Insurance Program, in order to reduce flood damage and maintain the environmental benefits provided by floodplains.

The Engineering and Natural Resources Department works collaboratively with other agencies and organizations to coordinate Federal, State and local funding and planning for transportation and natural resources projects throughout the County. Examples are the Department’s participation include:


The Right of Way Permit is required for the following construction activities located in the County Right of Way:
• Driveway Access (Change from native surface to AB, Concrete, Gravel,  Culvert installation)
• Roadway Access (this roadway will server more than 1 parcel/property)
• Landscaping
• Special Events – Informational Use Only (No Fee)
• General Utility Use (Bore/Trench, poles, pedestals, hardware)

The Permit sets conditions for the access to include, but is not limited to site distance, drainage, traffic control, and surfacing. The Access Permit is bound by an expiration date; however, the permit improvements must be completed prior to receiving a final. The County fee for the Right of Way Permit start at $100.00 and payable prior to issuance.


Floodplain Use Permits are issued by the Flood Control District of Cochise County for development in a floodplain, including extraction of sand and gravel or other material. Even if you may not need a building permit for your project, if you are doing work within a designated floodplain, you maybe required to obtain a Floodplain Use Permit before you build, grade, fill, install any type of wall or fencing, or perform any other man-made change to the property. Please note, Agricultural Properties are NOT exempt from Floodplain requirements.


Apply for Permits